Want to teach in Australian schools?

Want to become an Australian secondary or primary school teacher?

SICLE is offering a pathway to teacher accreditation for current community languages school teachers. The program consists of a tertiary preparation course (Cert IV in EAL – Tertiary Preparation) leading into a Master of Teaching program at Western Sydney University. The Master of Teaching program qualifies you as primary or secondary teacher. You receive HECS-supported places if you’re an Australia citizen.

Many teachers in Community Languages schools with qualifications in Business, IT or other areas want to become teachers in Australia; many teachers with overseas training also want to re-enter teaching in Australia.

All teachers in Australia must have four years of tertiary study. They train as teachers of early childhood, primary or secondary education.

*Applicants for the program must be Australian permanent residents or citizens.

Early childhood teachers work with children in their formative years (typically aged between two and five). They introduce them to the school environment and help them to develop key skills that provide the basis for all future learning

More Information

Primary teachers in Australia teach all subjects from Kindergarten to Year 6 to children generally aged between 5 and 11. They need to study in many curriculum areas. Teachers can specialise in Languages, Maths, Science and Technology or English after they train as generalist teachers.

More Information

Secondary teachers are generally trained in two subject areas and need to have two or three years tertiary study in these subjects. They teach students aged from 11 to 18.

More Information

You may need more training to teach in Australia. We offer Master of Teaching Programs to help upgrade your qualifications. The Master of Teaching at WSU is a 2.5 to 3 year program (depending on your individual pathway) for secondary teachers. The programs run on weekends, week nights, school holidays and online to suit your family and work commitments.

Approval to Teach / English Profiency

Approval to teach. When teachers have the required years of study, they apply to NESA (NSW Education Standards Authority) for accreditation to teach in government or non-government schools. Assessment of qualifications is free.

English Proficiency. To become a teacher you need to have a level of English equivalent to 7.5 in IELTS (8 in speaking and listening) or an equivalent other test (e.g. ISLPR). All teachers who have any tertiary education that counts towards accreditation in a country where English is not the official language must show evidence of their English language proficiency.

Attend Session

SICLE runs free information sessions each year about these programs. If you want to attend one of these sessions face to face or online please use the link below to provide your details.

Book an Information Session


Below are some frequently asked questions.

Primary teachers in Australia must be able to teach every subject to be a permanent teacher. You can be a languages teacher only after you are a generalist teacher.

Tertiary qualifications from universities overseas are generally recognised in Australia. You need to get official translations of your degree and record of study. It is then free to get them assessed in Australia.
If you have four years university with enough study of education you should apply to NESA for recognition (this is free) If you have less than four years of university study (after 12 years of schooling) you may need additional qualifications in Australia.
You can do a Master of Teaching which will qualify you in Australia for being a primary or secondary teacher.
You should build on your training and experience. If you were a secondary teacher, stick to that in Australia. There are differences between primary and secondary teaching but both are both equally demanding. Training in classroom management gives you skills for all classrooms.
Most pre-service teacher programs have CSPs (Commonwealth supported places). This means that if you are a citizen, you can defer paying the HECS cost until you begin teaching. If you are a permanent resident, you pay HECs fees as you study.
We have alternate mode Master of Teaching programs at Western Sydney University and ACU that run on weekends and online.

There are shortages in secondary school Science, Maths, Technics and Applied Studies and also in Special Education. There are also more positions in schools outside Sydney.